Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vancouver, BC

We ventured north this weekend to take the boys to the open house of the Vancouver, BC temple. Before each LDS temple is dedicated they hold an open house, in which anyone can tour the temple and the temple grounds. We thought it would be a great opportunity for the boys to see the inside of a temple and feel the spirit of temple work. We headed up on Sunday afternoon, shortly after church and breezed through the border in about 5 minutes. Though we didn't really need them, a couple of months ago the boys got passports; something of which Matthew is very proud.

We had reserved in advance a hotel room in Langley, not too far from the temple, with a huge jacuzzi tub. So, that evening the boys enjoyed swimming in the giant tub and we enjoyed a relaxing evening away from the stresses of home.

The next morning, after eating a giant continental breakfast we dressed up and headed to the temple. I wish I could say that the boys so influenced by the spirit and beauty of the temple that they were angels for the remainder of the trip, but that only happens in Sunday school manual examples. Seth didn't seem very thrilled with much of the temple; Matthew was great at the temple, but a tired monster on the way home. I'm hopeful that, at least for Matthew, the trip made some sort of impression that will stay with him. I know that I will remember it. I'm also sure that the hard/annoying/frustrating parts of the trip will fade in my memory. I undoubtedly will only remember the beauty of the temple and the joy felt spending time in God's house with my eternal family. I'm truly thankful for the temple and the promises made within it's walls.
In retrospect, we should have stood a little further from that pole.


My handsome boys.


Some of Matthew's photography:


2 comments:

Shalene said...

That sounds like an uplifting trip. I have never had the chance to go through a temple before dedication.

Lefty said...

I love Matthew's picture of the temple.
I am envious that you were able to take this trip, the temple looks beautiful, and from what I hear, the inside is fabulous.
That is such a great opportunity to bring your boys to the temple, a memory that I am sure Matthew will remember.