Saturday, October 01, 2011

Weight Check

Jon took little Elyse and the boys (Matthew needed his flu mist and Seth didn't want to be left out) to her weight check. Needless to say, I hadn't been giving her the 4-5 bottles a day that our peditrician had recommended, although she also had said,"Follow her cue." We had, however, been offering her more after she ate if she didn't seem content and supplementing her if I felt like I didn't have enough milk. But she tends to give pretty obvious cues when she was full, like pushing the nipple out of her mouth with her tongue.

Despite my plea for Jon to try to get her to chug 4 oz before putting her on the scale, he didn't have time. So she only weighed in at a heafty 8lbs, 2oz. The doctor seemed somewhat appleased with her weight gain - 1/2 oz a day. Jon was more assertive about our belief that she is simply a slow gainer and that we have precedence in our family (with Matthew) for this type of slow weight gain.

I don't know that I'll ever be completely free of the weight worry. I do trust my instincts and mostly I feel pretty sure that she's just following her own curve, but it's so easy to worry. I suppose if it wasn't about weight/feeding it would probably be about something else.

In other Elyse related news, she's beginning to be a consistent smiler and on occasions can really put on a show. Here's a few pictures that Jon managed to catch:





1 comment:

Jennifer Lovell said...

I love her smiles! What a cute face. I bet you just want to kiss it all the time.

Good luck with her weight gain, I'm sorry for your worries. She's adorable, anyway!