Saturday, May 30, 2009

Delinquency

It's been way to long since I've posted. I've been putting it off mostly because I've been a horrible picture taker and as Heather says, "Nobody wants to read a blog without pictures." So here's a quick recap with as many pictures as I have.

First of all, Mother's Day was fabulous. Jon did a great job of taking care of me. I'm grateful for my boys.

Matthew started a T-ball class at the local rec center. Of course, I don't have pictures (yet). Just imagine about 20 preschoolers and twice as many tennis balls. It was pretty hilarious. I had never realized that even teaching children to run bases can be tricky. They started learning to aim by kicking soccer balls towards cones. Matthew applied his golfing strategy and lined up his ball about 1 foot in front of the cone before kicking it. He's smart enough to know his limitations. Matthew did a great job listening and following the coach's directions. Matthew now is the proud owner of his very own mitt and he and Jon have enjoyed playing catch.

Thanks to some great airline fares, we spent Memorial Day weekend in San Jose. We arrived the Wednesday before and enjoyed some relaxing days hanging out and hitting Gram's pool. Seth swam for the first time, but didn't really enjoy the experience (Yes, no pictures of Seth).

Saturday the whole family plus Jon's cousin Karen played a round of miniature golf. Seth enjoyed a nice stroll on the course, while Matthew became an expert water-hazard-ball retriever.

We loved meeting Isaac Farley and Caleb Isaacson at family dinner on Sunday. We love new cousins!

On Monday, everyone except Seth and me headed to San Fransisco for a Giants game (Again, no pictures). In an attempt to placate both the Washington and California relatives, Matthew can now be seen sporting a Lincecum jersey.

On Tuesday we headed for an afternoon at the beach. Again, we forgot the camera. Grampy was kind enough to run to get a disposable camera to record the outing, but we haven't developed the pictures yet. Matthew loved building sand castles with Jon and digging for sand crabs with Heidi. Seth enjoyed the feel of the sand slipping through his fingers and searching for rocks and small pieces of driftwood to put in his mouth.

We headed home on Wednesday only to turn around and make a last minute trip to Portland (without a camera). Jon's cousin Scott is marrying a wonderful girl from Portland and since it had been way too long since we've seen him and his parents we headed down for their Portland engagement party.

We were able to meet up with Morgan, Tatum, and Marley Fisher at the zoo and Tom, Lisa, Jack, and Lucy Jensen at Scott and Julie's party. I also was able to chat with Heather and reminisce about those Indian Hills teaching days and hear about all the adventures that she is planning for this summer and then for the next year in Africa (Read her incredible blog!). Matthew loved staying in a hotel with a continental breakfast and a swimming pool. We also were able to visit the Portland Children's museum and its Bob the Builder exhibit. Matthew is already planning his next visit and even Seth was pretty sad to leave. Seth loved the baby exhibit with a tiny stream and paintbrushes. We had a great mini vacation are sad that we didn't make it up to Portland more often when we were only two hours away, instead of three. I'm sure that we'll go again.

It's been an exciting month but now we're looking forward to some time at home.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! It really was fun to see you guys... and fun to find out that we are somewhat-related now. Looks like you've been busy traveling everywhere these past few weeks, so I hope being home has been nice and restful. Maybe you should hang your pictures now ;)

Danielle and Derrick said...

We loved seeing you guys, you are so fun. I'm so glad we live near your parents so we can see you when you visit.