Sunday, September 21, 2008

"It's been a long time, been a long time . . . "

We are finally getting settled into live here in our new home. I can't possibly blog about everything that has happened in the last weeks, but here are some highlights:
  • We moved in thanks to the help of my wonderful family. Our container showed up with all our stuff on the right day. If anyone is moving in the near future we highly recommend the pod method. It was very easy and convenient.
  • After a few too many trips to IKEA we are almost all set up. We still have some things to purchase, but we need to recover a little financially. Moving and setting up a new home is expensive!
  • Jon started his new job and is enjoying it, though it can be stressful at times.
  • Jon was called as second counselor in the Young Men's presidency. Our ward's youth program is combined with another ward's youth, and there's only a single Young Men's presidency between the two wards. He's the only member of the presidency in our ward which means he gets to go to lots of ward meetings.
  • Jon went to Philadelphia for an orientation to the firm and I stayed home with the two boys all by myself without any major catastrophes (I'm very proud of myself).
  • Matthew started Preschool and is loving it. I'm loving that I can carpool with Kimberlee (one of my best friends ever) and that there are 6 hours a week that I only have to worry about one child.
  • I went to my 10 year high school reunion and Jon was nice enough to come with me.
This week Grammy, Grampy, and Heidi are coming to visit us. We are so excited! On Sunday Matthew will participate in his first primary program. He's been practicing his line and we been practicing the songs together. Despite generally being unable to sing the songs up to tempo, I've been very surprised at how many of the words he knows. He has a good little memory.

Speaking of Matthew, he's been a little bit difficult lately. The last couple of weeks he's been having tons of tantrums. We had been thinking that maybe he has some sort of anger management problem that is beyond his control, but in the last couple of days he's made it clear that his tantrums are a choice and not beyond his control. Lately, before going into a tantrum he will announce, "I'm going to yell and scream and kick." We're trying to give him other options to deal with frustration; most recently we've been singing a happy song when he goes into a tatrum, but if any of you have any suggestions they are certainly welcome. I think that all the change that occurred in his life this summer is still taking a toll on his behavior. Hopefully he'll adjust soon.

He was introduced to the Polar Express (first the book and then the movie) and has been enjoying pretending to be a conductor. Some days he has even slept in his conductor hat and glasses. This week he finally allowed me to change to lens in his glasses from dark ones to ones with yellow tint, so I think that he can actually see now. The great thing about the glasses is that they can also double as safety goggles on the days that he decides to be a construction worker. He also has occasionally chosen to be a fireman for the day just to spice things up.

Seth has started to smile and be much more aware. He loves being entertained by Matthew, sometimes the sound of Matthew's voice will keep him from fussing. He likes to watch Matthew play and Matthew loves showing Seth all his toys. We are starting to see a little bit of Seth's personality but can't wait until it's more evident. He is still eating well but still pretty frequently. I'm just grateful that I'm not having to pump in between feedings like with Matthew.

Below are a few pictures of Matthew's first day of preschool. He got some new shirts for "school;" mostly long-sleeved. We then proceeded to have 80 degree weather for the next week and each day Matthew choose to wear his new long sleeved shirts and jean. This week on the first rainy and cold day he wanted to wear shorts and a short sleeved shirt; go figure.

There are also some pictures that we had taken of the boys indiviually and together.

6 comments:

Liz :) said...

Andy a I are reading a good book right now that might be helpful to you. It's called "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish. You can find it on Amazon or probably your library. Let me know what you think. By the way cute pictures. That reminds me, I need to pick up some I had done of Nathan! =)

Stephanie said...

I agree with Liz - that's a great book. The same authors also wrote "Siblings Without Rivalry" and I liked that one, too. It's really tough when they do that tantrum thing. Caleb was terrible with that. It does pass. I used to just walk away or put him in his room to safely (and more quietly for me) vent his feelings, and I let him know that I would talk to him or he could come out and join us when he was finished. No solution worked 100% of the time, but that one worked the best for us MOST of the time. I just tried to stick to my guns, not giving in to tantrums or allowing them to get attention.
I'm so glad to hear that you guys are getting settled. Matthew looks so smart in that stepladder pic. And what a sweet one with him kissing Seth!

Chelsea said...

Matthew is such a crack up, tantrums and all. I love that he announces the tantrums for you. At least you have a heads up that way.

Christine said...

hey! nice to finally find your blog! I can't believe how big matthew is! And seth is so cute! :)
keep in touch!

sharon said...

sounds like you guys are having a fun choatic life!! congrats on the new home and moving in I know how stressful that can be.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have often wondered if my 3 year old son needs anger management classes, too (like I already mentioned to you in our water-cooler moment at church in the women's restroom).

I am glad to have you close by and in our ward!