Saturday, November 13, 2010

Return of the Adventure Day

Sort of.

With no school on Veteran's Day, we decided to venture out to do some letterboxing. The previous day's weather had been exceptional and when I woke up to mostly clear skies I felt optimistic that the predicted rain wouldn't come. So, we tempted fate and headed out to a nearby park with lots of trails and at least three letterboxes.

Although the sun had tried it's best to dry the previous day to dry out some pretty soggy ground, we still ran into quite a bit of mud. Oh, and we had to ford a small stream (I didn't pre-read the clues very carefully). Thank goodness for the way-too-expensive boots I got the boys in a moment of weakness.

Fortunately, with all the kids and the intricacies of stamping, we only ended up with a couple pictures of documentation, none of which I took. I know, I know. I need some serious reforming.

Here is what we ended up with. Special thanks to Andy for being our photographer.

Getting ready to stamp after our first find!
Group photo at the second letterbox's hiding spot.

We didn't end up finding all three; the rains, tireds, and orneries had began their descent. But I'm kind of glad . . . it gives us a reason to go back.

1 comment:

Shalene said...

You are brave to go out in the forest with the kids. I know for sure I would end up getting lost!! Looks like they had fun though!! :)